Tuesday 7 June 2011

Post Troll...

Right have to admit it's been a busy time at the moment ...busy that is in other aspects of my life and not illustrative work related, though I have a couple of commissions to 'start'. Sometimes of course you get enthusiastic queries and then .... nothing. No explanation ...just nothing, but that's the way things are I suppose. Also,I owe to other who kindly got in touch...  replies to their emails, but haven't had the time [as yet to do them justice] ...So my apologies to them. I do try, or is that ..I am trying :).

OK. A few pics most old, some new, to see the month in. This work are all based on scans put on the web by others so apologies for quality.
This first is a real oldie ... and it was a little 'rushed' if I remember.
This next [above] is slightly similar to stuff I used to do for Warhammer. I've found an old White Dwarf magazine where another piece exists and [hopefully] will post next time.
 This was obviously scanned directly from its source book and I was asked recently to use it as a similar theme to a new illustration for the lastest work [coming] from Le Gimoire and their work on the Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Series [Loup Solitaire]. See link in earlier post if you  want more info. Or, if your French is 100% better than mine then visit their website where you will also find some lovely links to Gary Chalk's work.
http://www.legrimoire.net/lone-wolf-loup-solitaire-JDR.htm
Hopefully I'll be able to show the new piece in the not to distant future, but no promises, some work I've done in recent months has still not seen the light of day for lots of reasons.

The next post will also feature a Sorcerer and a Sorceress and as a poor link .. there was this.
 The next is a Fiend Folio 'oldie'.


This next, links to 3 of the pictures posted a little while ago. Cannot find my scan .. but found this ... of my Dwarf.
This last is an old favourite that has appeared in many guises over the decades [sigh].

 Till the next....

13 comments:

  1. Yes, as usual fantastic work. I can just stare at this stuff for hours! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! I've just been given a copy of Dicing With Dragons on this very day!

    Great work as always Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of line art...there are levels of jealousy I am now experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So varied and beautiful works ! I didn't know the last and it is such a surprise to meet again the famous two left hands gob chief ! Does he appear on other designs ? by the way, the effect of draped mantle is perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I cant believe you have a blog, this is great!
    I have just started to re read all my FF books after almost two decades and had almost forgotten how much they meant to me. Your art has always been one of my favourite elements of the books and the work you did on the 'Advanced FF' books is amazing.
    I'm so glad you are still doing work! You have always inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved that Dicing with Dragons illustration - an adventurer setting out ...
    - is he sort of a classically posed?

    (I was was going to naughtily sneak some scans from that book onto my blog as a follow up to this post http://adventuresandshopping.blogspot.com/2011/04/flashback-to-1982-dicing-with-dragons.html ... especially for friends who are fans of Fighting Fantasy and Fabled Lands illustrations, but I guess it's probably better to ask first!) ;)

    Your orcs and goblins are definitive!

    *fawn*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did the girl with the knife feature as an AD&D "Houri" character class in White Dwarf (or Imagine)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tim, and welcome to you and others who've 'joined'.
    Billiam Babble ... asking is nice, and the answer is yes, but I'd appreciate a credit too.
    The 'houri' did I think appear in White Dwarf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have recently started drawing again and whenever I pick up my pen/pencil or graphics stylus I always think back to Larry Elmore and all you wonderful illustrators of the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks - yourself especially as Warlock of Firetop Mountain was the first I ever read. I will never forget the tremendous enjoyment you gave me then and the inspiration you give me now - so a big thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last Goblin pic is one of my favorite gaming illos by anyone in anything. I think I scavenged it from a White Dwarf, but thank you for the higher-res scan! (I don't suppose the original is still around?)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.